Wednesday, 20 March 2013

Recent Book and Music Reviews

I've had several book and concert reviews published in print and on the web in the last few weeks. I figured that it would be best to link to all of them in a single post for ease of access.

I reviewed Keeping Bedlam at Bay in the Prague Cafe by Budapest-based American writer M. Henderson Ellis for the Winnipeg Free Press. Keeping Bedlam at Bay is currently a featured book at McNally Robinson Grant Park and displayed alongside some literary heavy hitters (Richard Ford, for instance).You can read my review online here.




 
I also reviewed Wise Men by Stuart Nadler, an up-and-coming U.S. literary talent, for the Free Press. Despite its placid cover, the book is a great read and recommended for anyone interested in '60s and '70s America and the tumultuous events that were occuring at the time. You can read my review online here.


Image from vinceho.com.

I was delighted and incredibly honoured to learn that my review of the closing night of this year's New Music Festival has been added to the websites of Composer-in-Residence for the Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra Vincent Ho, and legendary Scottish percussionist Dame Evelyn Glennie.

Ho and Glennie collaborated on a highly emotional piece, "From Darkness to Light: A Spiritual Journey," that premiered during the concert. The work, inspired by a friend of Ho's recent battle with cancer, was one of the most moving and powerful pieces I've ever heard.  The Festival as a whole this year was spectacular, and I'm already looking forward to next year.
 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for the insightful, spot-on review of BEDLAM. It was more than an author could hope for.

    Many Regards,

    Matt

    ReplyDelete