Monday, 15 February 2010

What do a 29-year-old Russian-American and a Japanese man in his 60s have in common?

No, this isn't one of those tasteless jokes you find so often on the Internet.

The problem with being a creative person is sometimes having too many ideas. So I've come up with this series of posts, each of which contains some brief musings. I'm calling them Espresso Shots, because they're quick and don't last long but hopefully leave you with some sort of energy, if I do them well enough.

Here goes.

--

A few months ago, I had the idea that, as much as I liked Regina Spektor's newest album Far, it would have worked even better as a collection of short stories. It even seemed structured like a short story collection might: you had your charming, offbeat, subtly sad opener in "The Calculation", deeply human protagonists ("Human of the Year", "Genius Next Door"), and a mysterious but oddly satisfying closer ("Man of a Thousand Faces").

Now I realize that Far is an awful lot like a Haruki Murakami story, or collection of stories. Haruki and Regina seem to have that same off-kilter charm and eye for details. Like a couple that chooses to, seemingly on a whim, hold up a McDonald's in the middle of the night.

You should read Murakami's story "The Second Bakery Attack" here, and listen to the songs below, and tell me what you think.





No comments:

Post a Comment