Thursday, 3 December 2009

White Album Redux: 3. Glass Onion


To be honest, I'm not really in the mood for talking about "Glass Onion", mostly because I have a bit of a head cold and the song is just so cynical. I mean, there's this great, positive feeling you get with "Back in the USSR" and "Dear Prudence" -- and "Glass Onion" kind of ruins it, like someone crashing a very lovely party, drinking all the wine and eating all the food.

Well, not exactly that. But you get the idea.

---

Not very many people have covered "Glass Onion" in comparison with other songs on the White Album -- anyone's guess why, really -- which meant that I had to settle for a Beatles cover group. Not that I dislike Beatles cover groups or anything (they can be quite nice) but I'm not one for pure mimicry.

This video's actually not that bad, especially since the group in question brought string players and a flautist on stage. It's nice, having that classical flourish at the end, like in the original. I don't know if many people covering the song would have even bothered to find a flute.

Here's Ed Turner and Number 9, with "Glass Onion".


No comments:

Post a Comment