Thursday, 31 December 2009

Ten Years of Music: A Mix

Well, it's almost a new decade, and looks like the jury is in on what the 2000s will be called: the Aughts. Calling it 'the Aughts' is fine, but for many people it could also be 'the Noughts' - this decade was not an easy one for many people.

So I've made this mix. It's a reflection on ten years of gains, ten years of losses, and ten years of music. It's one of the few mixes I've made, so I hope it went well -- I spent three or four hours on it, including some very last minute changes.




The mix begins with "Your Ex-Lover is Dead" by Stars -- the only song I ever intended to begin with; "When there's nothing left to burn, you have to set yourself on fire" is a beginning both auspicious and pretty emotional, when you think about it -- and ends on an upbeat note with "You Belong With Me", a Taylor Swift cover by Butch Walker. Along the way, there are some dramatic ballads, some heartfelt folk, some hits (and soon-to-be hits), and the mix's centrepiece: Tori Amos' remembrance of 9/11, "I Can't See New York".

Remember, this mix was made to be listened to in order, but if you want to listen to individual songs, all power to you.

Happy New Year to you all! I hope the next year -- and decade -- is a good one. Cheers!

See you in 2010,
Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment