Friday, 11 December 2009

Barbara Walters: An Update

Well, I watched Barbara Walters' Ten Most Fascinating People of 2009 special Wednesday night. Considering the relative mediocrity of this year's selections, I wasn't expecting much for No. 1, but when it was announced I could only think of one thing.

Michelle Obama? Really?

Granted, she's definitely "fascinating" in a sense -- she's the President's wife, after all -- but for her to be labelled the most fascinating person of 2009, well, I don't know. It seems a bit like a rehash of last year -- when her husband (sensibly) took first place -- and makes me wonder if this is the beginning of a trend. Will the Most Fascinating People for 2010, 2011 and 2012 be Malia, Sasha and Bo?

The interviews themselves were actually pretty good. To my pleasant surprise, the inductees I'd originally raised eyebrows at -- like Jenny Sanford -- reaped the best sit-downs. Even if Barbara Walters couldn't resist a plug for Sanford's upcoming book.



And here's part of her sit-down with Michelle Obama.



What do you think? Was Michelle Obama the most fascinating person of 2009?

No comments:

Post a Comment