Wednesday, 16 December 2009

20 Best Albums of the Decade: #11

11. Amy Winehouse, Back to Black (2007)

In 2007, Amy Winehouse established herself as an international presence and took the world by storm with a refreshingly modern take on ‘60s girl-group pop and Motown soul— all thanks to Back to Black, on which disarmingly honest lyrics (“Rehab”, “Love is a Losing Game”) met music that smartly tipped its hat to its predecessors before going along on its own merry way. While recent events have suggested Back to Black could be Winehouse’s last album, it still stands, proudly, as one of the definitive musical statements of the decade.








2 comments:

  1. Hey Paul, what template did you use for your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer to let the music stand on its own -- however difficult that may be in the 21st century, when one's music and public persona are constantly judged against each other.

    As for my blog template, I think I used one of the basic templates (the black background was already there, I think, or maybe the background was already white...) Not sure if I could help you after that, though.

    ReplyDelete